The Gehr Family Center for Health Systems Science and Innovation
Thank you for visiting us!
Our mission is to help collaborating health systems deliver better, more efficient care, and to learn about the science of health care delivery in the process. We are grateful for the opportunity to conduct this important work thanks to the generosity of Mr. Norbert Gehr, a successful businessman who supported us to start the Center.
• A Keck initiative, led by Gehr team members Carol Peden and Veronica Pagán, aimed at promoting person-centered care for patients undergoing orthopedic and cancer care was featured in a recent brief by the Hospital Association of Southern California.
• Led by the Gehr Center’s director of health systems innovation, Carol Peden, MD, MPH, Keck Medicine of USC has implemented a new peri-operative care program to reduce inappropriate opioid prescribing.
•Gehr faculty Susanne Hempel, PhD, establishes the Southern California Evidence Review Center at Keck.
• In a Health Affairs blog piece, Gehr Center faculty Michael Hochman, along with other colleagues, calls for a “public option” to facilitate health information exchange.
• A new Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis by Gehr faculty member Susanne Hempel highlights the need for future research on energy intake and expenditures.
• Gehr student Andrea Banuelos Mota’s article describing the challenges of medication compliance for Latino patients with diabetes was featured by La Opinion.